225g unsalted butter, room temperature
200g caster sugar
200g soft light brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
240g crunchy peanut butter
340g plain four
2 1/2 tsps bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
75g chocolate, chopped or use chips/drops
1. Preheat the oven to 170ºC / 325ºF.
Line 4 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
2. Cream the butter and sugars together in a bowl until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs one at a time,
mixing well and scraping any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a spatula after each addition.
Turn the mixer down to slow speed and beat in the vanilla extract and peanut butter.
3. Add the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt and mix well until a smooth dough is formed.
Stir in the chocolate until evenly dispersed.
4. Arrange 6 equal amounts of cookie dough on each prepared baking tray.
N.B. I roll the dough into little balls and squash down to flatten slightly on tray.
Make sure that the cookies are spaced apart to allow for spreading while baking.
Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges and quite flat.
5. Leave the cookies to cool slightly on the trays before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
The cookies should be soft and chewy.