A while ago, I tried making an Orange cake which turned out very pleasant to eat. I fancied making it again for a BBQ we had recently. It was a great way to use up leftover oranges from making a carrot cake for my bestie Tor’s birthday. Recipe for Carrot cake with Cream cheese frosting can be found here.
|Orange Cake for BBQ, 23/8/14|
I use this recipe for Orange cake with orange butter icing and wanted to share with you! I've tweaked some quantities of the ingredients following recommendations in the recipe's comments. This is a lovely cake with a subtle orange flavour. Something a little bit different but still tasting like a familiar sponge cake.
250g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
250g caster sugar
100ml orange juice
125ml vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
85g butter, softened
250g icing sugar
2 tablespoons juice of an orange
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon zest of an orange
Orange jelly sweets
1. Preheat oven to 180°C / Gas 4.
Grease and line two 20cm round cake tins.
2. In a measuring jug, combine milk, orange juice, oil, eggs and orange zest.
3. Sift flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl.
Mix in sugar.
4. Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk mixture.
Stir until thoroughly combined.
5. Divide cake mixture between the two prepared tins.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes,
or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Allow to cool.
7. To make Orange Butter Icing:
Cream butter until smooth.
Gradually beat in icing sugar.
Beat until light and fluffy.
Beat in 2 tablespoons orange juice to bring to spreading consistency.
Stir in vanilla extract and orange zest.
8. Spread over cooled cakes.
Sandwich the cakes together.
Decorate with sweets (if using).